Simon van der Meer Early Career Award in Novel Accelerators
(sponsored by the European Network for Novel Accelerators through the EU project ARIES)
The Simon van der Meer Award is being established in 2019 to recognize outstanding early career contributions (theoretical, experimental, computational or technical) in novel accelerator science. It is sponsored by the European Network for Novel Accelerators (EuroNNAc) which is part of the EU project ARIES. EuroNNAc is coordinated by DESY, CERN, Ecole Polytechnique, University of Oxford, INFN Frascati and CEA.
The Simon van der Meer Award will be awarded every two years at the European Advanced Accelerator Concepts workshop (EAAC). Eligible candidates must be within 12 years of the completion of their first university degree or equivalent, excluding career breaks (e.g. maternity or paternity leave, adoption). There is no restriction as to nationality. The research recognized could be either a single piece of work, or the sum of contributions. The award recognizes one individual researcher and consists of a stipend of € 3000 and a certificate citing the contributions of the recipient. During the award ceremony there will be a short laudatio to the selected candidate followed by a presentation given by the laureate.
Nominations: Nominations should be sent to euronnac-award-proposals (at) desy.de by 27 May 2019 (the whole file cannot exceed 20 MB), and should include:
1. Name and email address of the nominee.
2. Proposed award citation (no more than 35 words).
3. A one-page narrative/introductory statement describing the nominee’s novel, pioneering, or leading edge accomplishments, with an emphasis on how their work has been recognised as especially promising.
4. Nominee’s resume or CV, listing educational background, positions held, and highlighting key: publications, patents, awards, honours, activities, reports or product releases.
5. Four letters of recommendation; diversity of support is preferred; not all letters of recommendation should come from the nominee’s institution. The name and email address is required for each reference.
6. If the candidate has taken a career break, a brief explanation for the nature of the break is requested.
7. The nominee’s agreement that their data is stored and processed for the purpose of the whole award procedure.